Home Improvement Contractor Training

Next Classes:



What is home improvement contractor training?

Home improvement contractor training is a 15 hour training course that both prepares participants for the NYC home improvement contractor licensing examination and helps participants to put together their license application package. The tuition is usually around $375.

Do I need a home improvement contractor license?

Anyone preforming home improvement services in NYC is required to be licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs. Homeowners doing work on their own homes do not need to get this license.

I am already licensed by Department of Buildings. Are you sure I still need a license from Department of Consumer Affairs to perform home improvement work?

Yes, you need home improvement contractor license from Department of Consumer Affairs to perform home improvement work.

How do I get a DCA home improvement contractor license?

Applicants are required to submit a package of 11 application forms to the DCA and pass a licensing examination that tests their knowledge of home improvement business law.

I am not good at taking exams. Is the licensing exam very difficult?

The exam consists of 30 multiple choice questions that cover both legal issues and general industry and business knowledge. Many contractors have decades of practical hands on experience but little knowledge of these areas. The training is therefore specifically designed to help contractors prepare for this licensing exam. With a little bit of preparation anyone can pass.

You say anyone can pass. How are you so sure?

To date more than 300 contractors have participated in our Home Improvement Contractor Training, and so far everyone who has taken the licensing exam has passed.

How much does it cost to take the exam and get a contractor license?

There is both a licensing and an exam fee. The licensing cost varies between $325 and $425 depending upon the time of year you apply.

Examination Fee  $50
Fingerprints & Processing Fee  $75
Licensing Fee (2 Years)  $100
DCA Trust Bond (2 Years)  $200
Total  $425

I don’t speak English. Is the exam offered in other languages?

Yes. The DCA licensing exam is now offered in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Bengali. Home improvement Contractor Training is currently offered in English, Spanish, and Chinese.

Can I apply for a contractor license in my own name, or does it have to be in the name of a business?

Both individuals and businesses are recognized as home improvement contractors. Businesses of course must be registered, but individuals must also register as sole proprietors.

Do I need to have insurance, such as liability, workers’ compensation or disability insurance, to get licensed?

It depends upon the situation, but not everyone is required to be insured. Any additional questions regarding to the Home Improvement Contractor Training course, please contract us at 718-263-0546 or send an e-mail to hict@queensny.org


Congratulations to QEDC staff for winning the $100,000 grant from Thrive Competition, sponsored by  NYCEDC, Deutsche Bank Americas Foundation, and Baruch College.