Day care programs planning to serve three or more children for more than three hours a day on a regular basis are regulated by the Office of Children and Family Services and must be licensed or registered.
Several state and local inspections must be performed during this process. Local fire and building codes inspections, zoning approvals and health regulations must be met. All regulated child care providers must have prior experience caring for children and must receive ongoing training in areas such as health and safety, nutrition, and child abuse prevention to maintain a license.
Pre-Permit Orientation Session is required for all new applicants. You may schedule one through your borough’s office. Advanced Registration is required.
Please note some applications are not available online. The Pre-Permit Orientation Session may provide you with an application or further information on obtaining an application. If not, you may go in person to request one from the NYCDOH Bureau of Child Care located at:
Your place of business will need to meet additional requirements such as:
- Certificate of Occupancy (requires a registered architect or a professional engineer)
- Recycle and Waste Removal (private carters)
There are several types of Child Care Licensing. Please note that each license and permit serves its own function and they are non-transferable.
1) Family Day Care Registration: residential, may request an application online. Service includes 3-6 children from the age of 6 weeks to 12 years.
2) Group Child Care Center Permit: non-residential, more than 5 hours/week for more than 30 days within a year to +3 children under 6 years of age. Register for a preliminary workshop to receive further information.
3) Group Family Day Care License: residential, 7-12 children, +3 hours/day from the ages of 6 weeks to 12 years. Request application online.
4) School Age Child Care Registration: non-residential with 7 or more children from ages kindergarten to less than 13 years. Request application online.
Additional Information for Childcare/Daycare Providers