- This event has passed.
8(a) Certification Workshop
June 20, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
The 8(a) Business Development Program helps small, disadvantaged businesses compete in the marketplace.
In order to help small, disadvantaged businesses compete in the marketplace, the SBA created the 8(a) Business Development Program.
What is the 8(a) Business Development Program?
- The 8(a) Business Development Program is a business assistance program for small disadvantaged businesses. The 8(a) Program offers a broad scope of assistance to firms that are owned and controlled at least 51% by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.
- The 8(a) Program is an essential instrument for helping socially and economically disadvantaged entrepreneurs gain access to the economic mainstream of American society. The program helps thousands of aspiring entrepreneurs to gain a foothold in government contracting.
- Participation in the program is divided into two phases over nine years: a four-year developmental stage and a five-year transition stage.
Benefits of the Program
- Participants can receive sole-source contracts, up to a ceiling of $4 million for goods and services and $6.5 million for manufacturing. While we help 8(a) firms build their competitive and institutional know-how, we also encourage you to participate in competitive acquisitions.
- 8(a) firms are also able to form joint ventures and teams to bid on contracts. This enhances the ability of 8(a) firms to perform larger prime contracts and overcome the effects of contract bundling, the combining of two or more contracts together into one large contract. Also, see the Mentor-Protégé Program for more information on allowing starting 8(a) companies to learn the ropes from other more experienced businesses.
The Entrepreneur Space is at:
36-46 37th Street
Long Island City, NY 11101
Conveniently located 10 minutes from midtown Manhattan, it is within walking distance to public transportation and near major highways connecting it to the entire metropolitan area.
By Car from Manhattan:
Ed Koch/Queensboro Bridge lower level to Queens Plaza
Turn left to NY 25A Northern Blvd.
Turn left on 37th Street
By Car from Eastern Queens:
Long Island Expressway to Greenpoint Avenue exit
Right onto Greenpoint Avenue
Left on 39th Avenue, across Queens Boulevard, continue over the Sunnyside Yard Bridge
Left on Northern Boulevard >Right on 37th Street
Please note that metered street parking is available in the immediate vicinity Street parking is more readily available after 6 p.m., though be aware that the meters function until 7 p.m. Please be aware of all street cleaning regulations
R or M train to 36th Street Station
Walk to 37th Street
Left on 37th Street
For a map on walking from the subway, click here.
As a non-profit, QEDC needs donations in order to keep serving our community. If you would like to make a tax-deductible contribution, please click the button below.