The Business Services Department works to provide the following seamless programs and services:
- 12th Annual Queens StartUP! Business Plan Competition gives emerging entrepreneurs the opportunity to strengthen their business knowledge, learn about business trends, gain insights about starting and growing a business and have a chance to compete to win one of three grants worth up to $10,000 in funding and services. The competition holds training workshops at the Flushing Branch of the Queens Public Library.
- Entrepreneurial Assistance Program (EAP) is a comprehensive hands-on business training course targeted to new and existing business owners, and is specifically designed to minimize the risk and maximize the potential success of starting or expanding a business. The primary goal of the course is to complete a fully vetted business plan. Also, if participants are start-up business owners and residents of Queens, they are automatically entered into the Queens StartUP! Business Plan Competition for the opportunity to win start-up capital. Participants are also included in our EAP Alumni Network which serves as not only a support system but an avenue for business development.
- Queens Women's Business Center (QWBC) works to empower women to participate in the local economy by helping them start and grow their business. It helps to connect women to resources within their community, and further develop their capacity to start and grow their business. QWBC primarily focuses on providing one-on-one counseling, specialized workshops and networking opportunities which include the Power Networking Series and the Women's History Month Celebration.
- Home Improvement Contractor Training is a 3-day training course for individuals looking to become licensed with the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs as home improvement contractor businesses. The lessons will be accompanied by one-on-one business advisory services, such as consultations on permits and licensing, business development, procurement, and access to capital.
- M/WBE Certification Series helps minority businesses sell products and services to New York City and State. We offer seminars with the Queens Chamber of Commerce on how to become certified with the City and State of New York and a step-by-step introduction on selling to different agencies. We also offer M/WBE counseling that assists business owners with the process of becoming certified and issues related to procurement.
- The Entrepreneur Space is located in Long Island City and has a 24/7 commercial kitchen that is open to qualified food businesses seeking to bring their operations to the next level. It is available at a low cost and on an hourly basis. It provides emerging food businesses with legal, reasonably priced kitchen facilities to create and grow a business while relieving them from the burden of high start up production and rental costs. In addition, the Entrepreneur Space offers access to business counseling, technical assistance, networking opportunities, and shared office space cubicles.